We have completed extensive work for a large local authority within the learning disabilities team.
When the team evolved it was recognised specifically appointed LD social workers would be better placed to assess and re-assess LD packages of care.
It was identified Social workers needed clinical consultancy and support to inform their assessments as many clients inevitably had complex health related needs associated to LD.
This was to enable accurate informed assessments to be completed with a view to increasing or decreasing packages of care.
Specialist LD OT assessments were completed to inform social workers before assessments were submitted to panel for decision making.
This enabled safe accurate informed assessments and reviews to be completed through specialist LD OT in-put.
This approach produced more cost efficient packages of care and enabled financial savings for the local authority.
There were also optimum achieveable levels of support for clients.
This was achieved using different approaches
- Consultancy about cases
- Direct face to assessments
- Liaising with health professionals for sharing of professional assessment information
Education and training SWs in relation to LD and building on knowledge and skills
- compiling clinical reports for supporting evidence of needs to panels
- Creative packages of care
- prescribing of specialist equipment following comprehensive OT assessment to enable single handed care approaches
Financial savings were made for the local authority within the LD Team